Monday, April 23, 2007

I've Been In The Lab With A Pen and A Pad


- Bound Brook, New Jersey is home to Nasty Ned's twice a week American Roots Live Showcase where Roots-based musicians gather and burn a little of the here's and theres. Bound Brook is about an hour drive from my house [I google mapped it]. If anyone wants to grab their weapon of choice and shag on down to this shindig, then, let me know and we can cruise the brownbird mobile there in style and show them how New York Roots cats do it.

- 20 years later, MerleFest is still going strong. "MerleFest is one of the world’s largest Americana music festivals, but the use of the term “Americana” to describe American roots music didn’t exist at that first festival" 3 Days to go!

- In a bitter aside [but relevant nonetheless] the promoter of this festival, San Diego's Folk Music Darling, Lou Curtis refused to give me an audition to the festival 5 years ago stating that "...I was too young to play this type of music" and that there was no way I could truly "get it". I've given up my grudge, but it's always been my dream to play here after all these years. C'mon Lou! Give me a chance buddy! Ugh.

- Can a musician truly be truly authentic? Hmm. I don't know about that, hmmmm, can they? Uhm. You tell me.

- Un-peel your eyes folks, if you have yourself a head swivel and a gander you'll see that's there's still a bunch of old school roots based musicians still doing what they do best. Ray Price is one of them, he's last of a breed of country troubadours that's still kicking; still keeping it alive. But not all of them are well known, some, do it because they have to.

- O'Death. Kicking Ass. Taking Names. Always On Tour stints. Recently Signed. Getting Good Press. They're everywhere. Including here. I love those guys.

- Talk about a fucking triple threat Midwest tour! Brooklyn's finest Whackabilly jumpers The Defibulators, vaudeville vexers The Two-Gentlemen Band [true gentlemen indeed] and Dirty Country Howlers Andy Friedman and the Other Failures start their Midwest Tour this Wednesday with a Pittsburgh show at Howler's Coyote Cafe! If you know some cat's and kittens who might be in the area then let them know that NYC is coming to get them Barbara!


Roots? Blues? Country? Folk-Punk? Bluegrass? Folk? Holler Blues?
Email Me @ brownbirdrudyrelic(a)gmail.com
or
Message Me Here Dig?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool ! I love the Defibulators!