Monday, April 9, 2007

The Black Sheep


Call a cat like me misguided, but I will take soulful veracity over technical astuteness any day. I’m more inclined to listen to a cruddy old Son House recording than the sterile bravado of this week’s blues guitar hero; I’m more Ralph Machio’s Lightning Boy than Steve Vai’s Jack Butler – but that’s just me.

To listen to Chattanooga, Tennessee’s street busker Boots Roots CD, The Black Sheep of the Family is like listening to soulful singing over an out of tune train sloppily careening off the track, and believe you me this is a good thing. Regardless of the lack of guitar virtuosity or the slight scratchy timbre in his voice, the blues comes through like hot knifes in soy butter and the songs themselves get better with each listen.


A backing band tries to [somewhat unsuccessfully] reign in the wild nature of Mr. Montgomery [Boots Roots himself] but this man’s blues is untamed and best left alone. It’s an acquired taste for sure, but if your ear buds can savor the flavor then you my friends will have a hearty meal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dude you're quite a douchebag.

go you!

Brownbird Rudy Relic said...

Wow! Just how did you know my nickname eh?

Anonymous said...

reputation, motherfucker, reputation.